Saturday, March 21, 2009

Being Fine Just As You Are

OK, I wasn't sure what to put as the title but I but something.

Something has been bugging me lately, maybe it's because I've been noticing it more often but I'm sure it's been going on for longer than I've been noticing. That thing is apathy. But not exclusively. Let's take a guy named A. This guy is a fictional character, but A is like a lot of people. He wakes up Sunday mornings to go to church because his parents make him or because some of his friends are there. After church his friends go goof off the rest of the day. Goes to school and is the cool guy, cusses because he thinks it's cool, just messes around during the week. But every once in a while he goes to church on Wednesdays but for the same reasons he goes to church on Sundays and goofs off afterward. Rest of the week goes by and then Friday comes and it's party time. Saturday just hangs out with friends. And back on Sunday. He's the guy you see at See You At The Pole (praying in front of the school around the flag pole for those who don't know) and you don't expect to see him there.

Sadly there are a lot of people like that. I could name tons. I could even put my week on here and I'd be ashamed of it. But just living life like every thing's alright. Just going through the motions.

YOU AREN'T THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD

Yes I know, weird title. But it's relevant.

Look outside...I don't know where you live but I know where I live. In a small town. there's cotton fields around my house. But it's a well-to-do neighborhood. But if I go to the downtown area of the nearest big town it's way different. People on street corners with old clothes that are either too big or too small. I remember going to Dallas and seeing people living in cardboard huts. And there are all these people who have never gone hungry, who get whatever they want, and have never had to sacrifice anything. A lot of times these are the people who are complaining about the smallest things.

There are children who are dying from disease and starvation. There are children who are orphans and some people are thinking how "horrible" their parents are because they have to be home by a certain time or that they can't have the newest whatever.

I don't see how people can be OK with people dying and not knowing God. Or people starving, or living in orphanages, or being persecuted for worshiping God. I know plenty of people who go to church but when facing persecution they would run. Sure I'd be hard to stand but it's possible. But it's too hard for some or they don't want to sacrifice popularity, or anything. But in the U.S. you don't have people burning down churches and throwing Christians in prison. How many people would be willing to stand.

I read and article about a group of Christians who were worshiping at the spot their church building use to be before it was burnt down by people who were against them. But they still met there.

I don't know where I'm going with all of this but here's what I'm trying to say. But here i guess is the gist of it all. We cannot be OK with being apathetic, going through the motions, or whatever. We cannot be OK with others suffering and we need to do something about it.

OK I'm 16 years old. I don't know how old you are but maybe you're thinking. What can I do? Do you really want to know? Well I guess to be honest you can't really do that much. But...God can. There are many people he has used to do great things. Just look at the Rebelution website and you will find some.

Then what are you going to do if you have excited to do something? Well that's between you and God. Right now I'm making scarves, baby hats, and other knitted goods to bring with me to Peru (I might haven't said that I'm going to Peru. Now you know) and to send to England. but there are many things that we can do.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Amen!! *applaud*

Your going to Peru? really? can I come? how come on, you will hardly know I'm there...

Margaret Christine said...

AMEN!!!
are you sure you are only 16? I swear, you and ande are pretty much the only people I "know" who aren't into themselves compltet and totally. that's why I like adults so much better. for us,(me&ande) it was being around children's death. that really grows you up fast. for me it was like BAM! and suddenly there were other people, althought I do slip. a lot. :( that was soooooooo inspiring.

can I help you? with the scarves, I mean? I could send them to you and you could bring them to peru, I guess. but everything else..I'm "too young for" it makes me sick. So i'm jumping at a chance..please let me help! also, I am joining the rebellution. :)

Zoe said...

As I already told you, Calsie, that is a great post! Keep it up!

~Zoe

Calsie Rael said...

Margaret: Yes I am really 16. Sure you can make scarves. There is a post on the Rebelution about scarves to send to England. So whenever you join you can check that out. Personally I can't bring much to Peru so you sending them to me might not be the best idea. But they might need some on the rebelution so just look there whenever you get a chance.

Rachel And Charis said...

That was an amazing post!! VERY inspriational!!