Saturday, February 21, 2009

Book Reviews

Is it legal to do book reviews over books you haven't finished? Cause I have a couple. But anyway. Here are a few. And this may sounds nerdy, stupid or whatever but I am going to give stars from 1-5. 5 being the best.

Redeeming Love
Francine Rivers
Redeeming Love is a story based off of the book of Hosea. I know the title might be deceiving. But I assure through it is slightly a love story it isn't just that. It is an amazing story about God's grace and His love for us. It's not a book just for girls. I know a lot of men who have read it and loved it. It is a bit mature so Reader Discretion is Advised. But it is an amazing book and a great testimony of love. Francine Rivers is an amazing author. I'm not going to give too much of it away but Angel was sold into prostitution when she was 8 years old and that is all she had known. Michael Hosea is told by God to marry her. He does and she runs away a few times. That might be giving away a lot but not too much. I knew that before I ever read the book. It's a great story and I encourage you to read it. I give it 5 stars.

Same Kind of Different As Me
Ron Hall & Denver Moore
I haven't finished this book but it is one of the most amazing books I've ever read. It is the true story of Ron and Denver told from each of their points of view. Ron Hall is an art dealer who lives in luxury and has a million dollar house. Denver was practically in slavery for the beginning of his life and homeless for most of it. In the book they become friends and...you just have to read it. At first it's confusing and Reader Discretion is Advised but it is an amazing read and I can't say enough good things about it. This book is a different kind of Reader Discretion Advised as Redeeming Love. But some parts are hard to get through. But this is truly an amazing book. I cried (that doesn't say much) but it is a very touching and moving story. I give this book 5 stars.

She Said Yes
Misty Bernall
I read this book online at http://www.plough.com/ebooks/pdfs/SheSaidYes.pdf This book is about Cassie Bernall who can killed at Columbine High School when she said yes when she was asked if she believed in Jesus. It was written by her mother just talking about Cassie's life. Some parts are really, really hard to read. So Reader Discretion is Advised maybe even more so than the other books I've mentioned. It's a good book. But it's just not a book I would want to read again. I'd say 3-4 stars. This ones harder for me to rate. The other ones I just loved and they were super amazing. This one is still really good. I don't want to give it a 5 or a 4 because it doesn't seems that good. But it's better than a 3 and better than a 3 1/2. So maybe like 3.8 if that works. It still is a really good book but there are some parts that are really hard to handle. There is some language I think. I just don't know. If you want to read this book more power to you but if you have a weaker stomach I wouldn't. Overall it's a good book.

The Shack
William P. Young
I have heard a lot of good things about this book. But I just couldn't get into it. The beginning is pretty brutal so Reader Discretion is Advised (I'll try to read a book without that someday) I heard everyone say how great the book is and all that. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I should have given it more time but I didn't. I would say probably 2 stars. Sorry to all y'all who loved it.

The Christy Miller Series /Sierra Jensen Series
Robin Jones Gunn
I love these books! They are great, clean and the characters live their lives for God. There is a little bit of mature material (ex. drug use, etc.) but I don't think it's bad enough to put the reader discretion warning. I guess I won't say too much about them. But they are really good. I say between 4 and 5 stars. Some books in the series are better than others.

Well there it is. Sorry if you disagreed. Books on my book list (well at least that I someday want to read) are...

Redemption of Sarah Cain-Beverly Lewis
Mere Christianity-C.S. Lewis
Stop Dating the Church-Joshua Harris
Boy Meets Girl-Joshua Harris
Les Miserables-Victor Hugo
Pilgrims Progress-John Bunyan
Foxe's Book of Martyrs-John Foxe
Diary of Anne Frank-Anne Frank

I'm sure I could find more. But I better stop. I will try to put more reviews again soon here are some I have in mind...

Mark of the Lion Trilogy-Francine Rivers
Shepherd of the Hills-Harold Bell Wright
Do Hard Things-Alex & Brett Harris
I Kissed Dating Goodbye-Joshua Harris

Please comment if you have any suggestions of books I should read or if you want a book review for a book. I will put one if I have read it or when I read it. Thank you.

1 comment:

Zoe said...

Wow Calsie, all the books you read require "viewer discretion". I will let you borrow Boy Meets Girl whenever I finish it.